Did you just move into a new home and aren’t quite sure where to start with the decorating? Waypoint Real Estate Group wants you to try something new. This time, try to shop for new decorations in your own home! Repurposing and refurbishing are all the rage, so why not hone your repurposing skills and see how creative your decorating can be.
“Free” Decorating Ideas
Projects that you can do this afternoon, without having to go to the store.
- Rearrange your furniture. Grab a patient friend and see what you can do to change up the room. Try a few different options to see what you like. Consider breaking up a room by using a bookshelf as a divider or creating a separate zone of the room with a large area rug.
- Create an accent color. Pick a room and pick a color. Now go around the whole house and collect all decorating items in your chosen accent color. Return to the room and see what you can do with what you collected. It’s common that we clutter a space with too many colors. Picking one or two accent colors can pull a room together quick.
- Color-code your books. The result is very peaceful to the artistic eye.
- Bring the outside in. Flowers, branches or stones in a vase can make for a great natural embellishment.
- Add color by displaying bright decorating accessories. Scarves, hats and jewelry can all be showcased to fill up a blank wall.
Small Budget Decorating Projects
Projects that will require a little bit of planning and a minimal expense.
- Refresh your frames. You’ve had the same pictures in your frames for years haven’t you? It’s time to update! Go through your personal photos or check out your local public library or Wikimedia Commons for public domain images. Play with colors and saturation.
- Refurbish an old item. Whether you sand and stain or apply a fresh new coat of paint, you can completely transform an old household object. Update your decorating with this affordable trick.
- Recover your pillows. With a small amount of fabric and a bit of patience re-covering a pillow can be an easy afternoon decorating project.
- Less is more. Too much clutter can distract from the design of a room. Remove excess clutter and only leave the decorating essentials.
- Look through magazines and look online before you start. Create a decorating look board and try to match objects in your home to what you find in your images. You’ll be surprised by how close you can get with things you already own.
- Light it up. All rooms are more welcoming and inviting with additional light. Make sure your windows are clean and unblocked. Both natural light and artificial light can help cozy up a room.
While updating your décor at the store once in a while certainly is fun, you don’t always have to spend money on decorating. Next time you’re in the mood for change give “home shopping” a try and see what you can come up with. Waypoint Real Estate Group would love to hear all about your creative home decorating ideas and help you find your dream home to try them out in.
Waypoint Real Estate Group serves Central Florida, specializing in Celebration, Florida.